Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, At affordable rates
CHIN 2050 / SOSA 2051, FALL, 2022
Film Review Assignment
To Live (活着 Huozhe) 1994 Samuel Goldwyn/Era International/Shanghai Film Studios; 125 minutes; Winner, Grand Jury Prize and Best Actor, 1994 Cannes Film Festival; Director: Zhang Yimou; Starring: Ge You, Gong Li
A film review is not a summary of the plot. Rather, your film review should discuss the issues raised by the film and address the film’s purpose and importance. Briefly, it is a critical analysis of the content and issues of the film. The length of your review should be 800-1,000 words, or 4 to 5 pages, double-spaced. The content of your review should include the following in any order you choose.
1) In one short paragraph, describe the film in general terms. Describe the plot and setting. What subjects does it cover? What issues does it raise? What do you see as the purpose of the film?
2) What is the central theme of the film? The theme is the message or the main idea the film is trying to communicate to the audience. It is the point the director is trying to make through the film.
3) What are the motifs (sometimes called sub-themes, or themes) and symbols in the film? How are they used to develop and deepen the main theme? A motif is a recurring element in a story or film. It can be an image, a sound, a song or melody, an object or idea, or a character’s line (words) that repeatedly occurs in the film. Motifs help to reveal, develop, deepen, and expand the main theme. A symbol is one thing that represents another. Symbols can be colors, images, objects, or characters that are used to represent abstract ideas or concepts. Your task is to tell me how motifs and symbols help to reveal, develop, deepen, and expand the central theme that you have identified.
4) What is the relationship between the state and individual in this film?
5) (Optional) Comment on the representation of reality. Is the film historically (or factually) accurate and realistic? Does it contradict or support anything you have learned?
6) (Optional) Briefly summarize and emphasize the strengths and weaknesses of the film.
• Must use the MLA or APA citation format.
• Must have a title page, double-spaced with a 12-point Times New Roman font. • Must be submitted to Brightspace by 11 p.m., Sept. 26.
• Please place the following on top of the first page of your review (–This is the appropriate format for a film review):
To Live (活着 Huozhe) 1994 Samuel Goldwyn/Era International/Shanghai Film Studios; 125 minutes; Winner, Grand Jury Prize and Best Actor, 1994 Cannes Film Festival; Director: Zhang Yimou; starring: Ge You, Gong Li
*Originally prepared by Chuan Xu, edited by Andrew Griffin, in Winter 2017.